Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Here comes the sun.

This is my view as I wait for my next appointment today.  The sun is rising and it is a beautiful fall day.  Days like these are why people live in Minnesota:  leaves are at their peak, temperatures are crisp, the sun is still warm.  There is so much for which to be thankful.

My first 12 weeks of chemo is entering it's last 3-week cycle.  It's hard to believe this round is nearly finished.  Today is my last "long" day, my last time I receive the trial drug, along with the two standard drugs.  After this I have 2 "short" days in which I only received 2 standard drugs and then it's on to the next cycle.

I am doing much better, attitude-wise than I was last week.  My cold has cleared up, and I am managing the side-effects better.  My newest is that my feet tingle nearly all the time.  It is annoying, but, not overwhelming.   My hands also are itchy and irritated, luckily, only intermittently.   I haven't decided if it is a simple side-effect, or response to some irritant.  I also get tired more at the end of the day.  Not much gets done when I come home from school.  Luckily, my family is stepping up, and I have a freezer full of dinners to make.  Bless my family and friends!

I am choosing, at this point, to not think about round 2.  That is the "nasty stuff," called AC.  I only have 4 treatments of that, beginning November 9, and I go every other week.  I am choosing to believe I will respond well to this as well.  Attitude is everything in this game.

My job, while sometimes exhausting,  is what keeps my spirits up.  Working with a school full of kids paradoxically energizing and exhausting, inspiring and frustrating, joyful and overwhelming.  In the end, though, these kids make my day.  I get oohs and as over my vanishing hair, I had a fifth grade students make a fabulous hat for me with her grandma, and, I get hugs and support all around.  I can't imagine a more life-affirming occupation.  Last weekend, I collaborated with the public library, the high school, and some amazing Star Wars fans to celebrate Star Wars Reads Month (yes, it's a thing).  It was a great success, and the picture below is why I love my job.  To see the fun these kids had, at library, is why I do what I do!

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!


1 comment: