Thursday, September 15, 2016

5 down 7/11 to go...hair still hanging in there

Today I completed my 5th round of chemo, and I am so lucky to have things go as smoothly as possible.   I have 7 more treatments of this first round of chemo, which is every week, and 4 rounds of another drug, which is administered every other week.  I am doing very well.

I am happy to say that they were able to decrease the dosage of the pre-meds given to help mitigate the effects of the chemo drugs.  These are Benedryl, Pepcid, and a steroid.   This is much easier on my system, and makes me much less tired immediately following.   The only ANNOYING impact of these pre-meds is that the steroid completely wires me, and I anticipate a late night.

I want to take a moment to sincerely thank my circle of family and friends for their generous support.  I have had so many faces with me as I received chemo, laughing, reminiscing, and catching up, that the time has flown by.  My wonderful husband, who has supported me in so many ways, has kept me strong.  Missy sat with me, and talked me into taking yoga with her. Nicole visited and brought laughter and light with her.  My brother, visited from Iowa, and laughed at American Pickers, and recounted harrowing tails of his past, making my "long day" seem like any other.  Finally, Jodie, came with me, even though she has the memory of her mother's lost battle to cancer haunting her.  We talked of our girls and their futures, and caught up from our busy lives.  

I also truly appreciate the text messages and Facebook messages from family and friends.  It gives me courage and strength to feel their support as I power through this. 

I have always been independent, to a fault.  I don't ask for help, even when I need it.  This battle has forced me to step outside my comfort zone and not only rely on others, but actually solicit their help.  And, I am not weaker for it, but stronger.  I want to remember this lesson.   Leaning on others does not tear me down, but builds me up.

I will close with a quote from a very wise man:

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

My family and friends are my light.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful quote! Keep strong. p.s. that book rocks, keep telling us what you are reading.

    ReplyDelete