Monday, September 5, 2016

In the beginning........


This has not been the summer I envisioned 3 months ago!  As a teacher, I had so much I planned to do.  This was the summer before my first year as a tenured teacher and I had so many programs I was hoping to plan and implement for next year.  First things first, though, and as summer began, I made all those appointments I had put off:  dentist, dogs to the vet, and a mammogram.  Summer quickly derailed.

After my mammogram, I was called back for follow-up regarding something of concern.  At this point, I was still not worried.  I had more than one friend who had the same sort of call back and everything was normal.  In fact, I was a bit suspicious of the clinic and their desire to get all they could from insurance.  I even talked to my doctor to confirm it was needed.  He agreed.

I first got truly worried not at the mammogram, but when they rushed me into another room for an ultrasound.  As I lay on the table thinking back to my last ultrasound, when I was pregnant with my now seventeen-year-old, I began to cry.  I wasn't worried for me, but for what this would mean for her.  

Many biopsies, MRIs and doctor consultations later the verdict is:  Invasive ductal carcinoma.   Words no woman wants to hear.  I HAVE CANCER.  The tumor is about 2 cm, and is estrogen positive and HER2 positive.  Those factors combine to make this an aggressive form of cancer.  Here is what completely derailed my summer:

The solid white spot in the middle is a tag that was inserted during the first biopsy.  The white mass around it is the tumor.  The white veins are normal and, for the most part, not of concern.  The good news, tests all confirm the cancer doesn't appear to have spread to the lymph nodes or any other system.  I am pre-operative Stage 2.
Fast forward, school starts tomorrow.  None of those amazing plans were completed.  Instead I retooled for a different sort of year altogether.  I have started 20 weeks of chemotherapy.  I go every Wednesday and will continue to do so until November.  In November, I will switch to a different chemo drug and only go every other week.  I won't be finished until just after Christmas.  This requires a substitute teacher every week.  This is now how I spent my summer.....preparing.  I am even prepared to lose my hair.
Because there are so many people in my life that are interested in my progress, I decided to start a blog to keep everyone updated.  This way, I don't need to try to remember to whom I have told what.  I will try to post each week during my chemo treatment, or the day immediately following.  








13 comments:

  1. Much love to you Diane! You are an amazing person and teacher. I know your uplifting attitude and your strength will help immensely through all this. Know that you will constantly be surrounded by healing prayers and thoughts. ❤️ Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. All the support is helping me through this.

      Delete
  2. First I want to say that those students are so lucky to have you!!! We love you and we are sending positive vibes and prayer your way. You've got this and you will kick cancers butt!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They have been amazingly supportive and resilient. I am lucky to have THEM.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. They have been amazingly supportive and resilient. I am lucky to have THEM.

      Delete
  3. Wow. Your news just makes my stomach all queasy. Many many prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. It still doesn't seem real to say "I have cancer."

      Delete
  4. Many hugs today and for every day after. I am so lucky that I can hug you daily and remind you of all the love and support you have! Stay Strong!! - Heidi B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All your hugs give me strength. Thank you for your positive spirit.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for keeping us posted! Can't wait to hear about your journey!
    Drew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's weird and surprisingly helpfull being so public about everything.

      Delete
  6. Wishing you all the best. You are surrounded by many people who love you. Kick its butt!

    ReplyDelete