Thursday, September 29, 2016

Things I have learned........that have nearly nothing to do with cancer

First, for those wondering how today (OK, technically, yesterday) went, it was uneventful, which is good.  My potassium levels are back in the normal range.  I have a slight head cold, but, no fever and my white blood count was acceptable, so chemo was administered.  My close friend, Nicole, took me, so we shopped a bit while waiting and talked a lot while I was hooked up.  Thus, no earlier update.  7 treatments down, only 5 to go for this first round.  I start the new stuff November 9th.

Second, having cancer has taught me many things, mostly about having cancer....what red arm bands mean on Floor 10 of the Gonda Building, what order my drugs are administered because I'm part of  a drug trial, or even, I now hate the taste of chocolate, and like the taste of black licorice.  But, is is teaching me so much more than that.

People are so generous and thoughtful.   It astounds me that they take time out of their busy lives to encourage me: my family, my friends, and even students and their families.  I firmly believe that each prayer, act of encouragement, and all the positive energy is what is getting me through this.  It is teaching me to do the same.  To not be afraid of intruding.  To offer comfort when others are fighting their own battles. 

I have learned that nurses are the lifeblood of health care.  I have seen doctors to start my treatment, then, haven't laid eyes, ears, or emails on a single one until today.  The nurses have helped keep me grounded, comfortable, and added a laugh or two.  I was disappointed today that I didn't get to chat with Lisa, and, instead saw one of the doctors.  To all you nurses out there, thank you, for keeping my world sane.

I have great empathy, now, for the children I teach that have ADD/ADHD.  For those that know me, I am of an age that didn't diagnose ADD yet, however, I had all the classic symptoms growing up.  I have learned to manage it, and, only have vague memories of how it made my school life difficult.  However, I receive a steriod to help mitigate the effects of one of the drugs, and it notches my  inability to focus up tenfold for 24 hours.  It is frustrating to know I need to listen to the person speaking and being completely unable to do so.  And, I am an adult.  Imagine how many times this is magnified in a 6-year-old!  I am looking at these students with a new eye.

Finally, I have a new-found empathy for the comb-over.  Yep, you heard it, the comb-over.  I used to scoff and think that those men aren't fooling anyone, just let it go.  Here is what I am finding....I thought I was relatively chill about losing my hair.  Honestly, it will grow back.  However, I was profoundly shaken to see bald spots.....I immediately wanted to cover it.  If I had long enough hair, I believe I would have gone for my own comb-over.  For those who embrace their bald spots, much love to you.  Here is me and my bald spot, signing off


To my mom and dad, thank you for funding my need for hats!  I found the hat store for cancer patients in the Subway Level at Mayo (which, if you ever need, would be a great place to hole up in the event of a zombie apocolypse).  I got some cute ones, which I will post later.  Again, thank you for your thoughtfulness.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you are doing these journals , it really helps me understand more of what you are going through. I am so happy that you have such great people in your life to help you, which is a testament of what a great person you are. 😘

    ReplyDelete